View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Reload in Relaxed & Methodical setting.

A few yrs back I was fairly new to reloading, having reloaded about 250 rounds total. I was all excited that I had got in last minute to a sniper course that was to start on the coming weekend. I was told I should have 400 to 500 rds on hand for the weekend. I bought all my supplies & had a new set of dies. This was Thursday night so I was on a reloading marathon. How hard could it be?

I started after I got home from work about 7:00 pm & worked until 4:30 am. Needless to say there were a few crushed shoulders, a casing stuck in the new die tool, and the worst was I had some how not set the OAL correctly for seating the bullets on the new bullet seating die. I discovered this at the end when I realized I had not checked my dummy round(no primer - no powder) in my gun and I couldn't close the bolt. I ended up not being able to use the rounds & having to pull every last one of them. Thankfully I was able to save everything but I didn't have time to reload again before the course.

I had to go out & buy factory rounds I needed for the weekend. The only great thing is now I have a lot of brass for my rifle. I was embarrassed & upset with myself for making all those errors. I guess it didn't help I was new to reloading, in a rush & by the end of the night, very tired. I was just so tired I didn't realize I was making mistake after mistake after mistake. I was lucky nothing serious happened.

Now I take everything very slow & methodical when reloading. I check & double check everything. I make sure I have enough time to complete the reloading step I want to do. I keep a log book. I check my dummy round in my gun before I go forward with the rest of my reloading. And I don't do reloading marathons anymore