View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Lakers make for poor table fair. I find it damn near criminal that the large lakers in Cold Lake have been all but fished out. A 20lb laker could over 30 years old and the fact you could drive to a lake and catch one is what we should be protecting. Set a slot up in Cold where one 54cm - 58cm trout could be kept (or something like that) those little guys are way better eating and let’s those big ones to spawn and a chance to catch a trophy. Bait ban also. I miss catching those 20-30 lbs’ers in there.
I won't argue your theory on a small slot size for catch and keep but I will argue the poor table fare. Lakers big or small are excellent table fare. It's all in the cleaning of them. Clean them properly removing the fats and skin and you'll have excellent eating regardless of size...I think the 75cm rule is ridiculous personally. Those are the fish that should remain in the lake. As for a bait ban? What do you propose? Do you mean all bait or baitfish? Artificial only? In summer artificial is all I use. I never buy baitfish. In winter when I fish Cold lake which is something I do maybe once or twice a year(last year I didn't even bother) to be honest I am more interested in catching a burbot so using frozen minnows to tip a jigging spoon and pounding bottom is my preferred choice but for Lakers I just jig with a tube jig or bare spoon.