View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Pudel ... i checked your posted lakes and found that all but 1 lake had rainbows at one time in that range and that the others that you gave names are not lakes(ponds)....
also in post is where the Hens were stocked so anyone saying that a hen was caught in lake other than those listed is a fisherman;;;
Thank for clarifying your post(s) Speckle.

I disagree with the "pond" description for ANY of the lakes I listed. Lees Lake is probably the smallest and it is indeed a lake. Down the road is Burmis Pond (a pond). Michelle Reservoir is a Lake sized reservoir - definitely not a pond. Beauvais and Beaver Mines are definitely Lakes.

Nicholas Sheran is the only body of water I have mentioned that could be considered a "Pond".

Where are you finding the lakes I mentioned described as "Ponds"? Something is wrong there...

As for your last comment, why would someone who catches a brood stock fish be any less of a fisherman then someone who fishes the stocked ponds? Or a trophy lake for that matter?

You asked about 4 or 5 lb trout, and I answered. Records from 1962 mean nothing to today's situation or discussion. In fact, it would re-enforce the argument that all of the lakes mentioned have the potential to produce large fish - a potential (which you yourself stated was most important in choosing any lake for "quality management") that they are currently NOT living up to!

I stated earlier that if temperatures and oxygen allow, ALL of our trout lakes (again, save for a few very cold alpine lakes) will grow BIG fish in a very short time, IF managed properly (i.e. stocked at a low rate and harvest is kept low, aerated if required). ALL. I repeat, to be clear, ALL. [I should make a disclaimer here, there are a number of lakes that will not grow Big Fish in a Short Time, but they will grow Big Fish if given enough time - for example many lakes in the NE area of the province - but they will still grow big fish if not over-fished]

Productivity is NOT an issue in Alberta's stillwaters - oxygen, temperature, stocking rates (both natural AND man made), types of fish stocked and harvest rates ARE the issues.

We are discussing the possibility of changing a couple of these; namely stocking rates and harvest regimes. The government is changing to triploid trout on their own, for reasons already described in others' posts.