View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

A fellow on another site did some digging on this issue.
What he discovered is eye opening to say the least:

"I can find no record or claim that members of the Simpcw band were forcibly removed from Jasper National Park lands.

The closest area where I can find claims of forced removal are from Tete Jaune Cache - well over 100 km west of the area they're currently hunting in JNP.

The Simpcw were not a part of the numbered treaties in the Jasper area, and so were not involved when the Federal Government extinguished aboriginal title on national park land over 100 years ago. Most claims of 'forced removal' stem from the extinguishing of treaty title - clearly this was not the case with the Simpcw.

The Stimcw have been one of the over 20 First Nations, Non-Treaty Nations, and Metis communities that participate in the long-standing Jasper Indigenous Forum. All of these 20+ entities have historical associations with Jasper National Park. Obviously, these associations overlap with each other in traditional land uses. Jasper runs almost all park issues by this forum to see if there are any concerns - as they are required to do by federal mandate.

A few years ago, with representation of the Jasper Aboriginal Forum, JNP commissioned a new Raven Totem, with Haida artists. Late in the process, the Simpcw objected, Chief Matthew said the Simpcw didn't have an issue with the Haida creating the pole, but with Parks Canada and the federal government for ignoring the Simpcw and not recognizing the cultural values their people offer the land. “To deny our presence is a misrepresentation of history." Jasper National Park Superintendent Greg Fenton said he was surprised by the announcement, as the Simpcw First Nation participated in the Aboriginal Forum and were fully aware of the Raven totem announcements during the past year. The Simpcw however, didn't feel that the Aboriginal Forum (with all the other bands) was the correct avenue, and that negotiations should have been 'nation to nation' with them alone.

I raise this event to illustrate that the Simpcw have been very persistent in establishing their claims as the premier indigenous claims to JNP lands. We can expect other bands to make the same claims and expect the same 'rights', or they risk losing their spot!
"

And so as it turns out, this aboriginal group is not even from the area, has superseded those who were in gaining access to the National Park, and did so by "negotiating nation to nation" in secret with the Trudeau government.

I mean WTF???

I'll just bet that the aboriginals that did live there once are now chomping at the proverbial bit...

Nog