View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So you propose to use them for "apprehension of criminals"? Just stop and think for a moment what that entails. That's the activity that MOST challenges a well-trained police officer. You need to accurately determine whether there is probable cause. You have to be aware of and address the rights of alleged perpetrators. You have to apprehend them while protecting public safety. You may have to deal with a violent or armed individual. I'd say that's absolutely the LAST thing you want well-intentioned amateurs doing. I can't imagine that any case wouldn't get thrown out of court for some legal screw up. People could really get hurt too.

If needed, resurrect some version of rural crime watch.
Are you saying people can't get hurt on volunteer fire departments? Of course there is risks, which is why there would be substantial training. The training would also be on how to make an arrest, and insure that there is no legal screw ups. These guys would NOT be amateurs, they would be well trained, but only do it on a part time/on call basis with everything paid for by the municipality. Your looking at 1 to 2 years training before anyone even goes on a call.

The RCMP and EPS have 6 months of depot then ride alongs IIRC. Yes they do it every day, but they also respond to countless other types of calls they need to be trained for. Things like ticketing, domestic disputes, crack heads, fatalities, etc... You could take most of that training out by having your department focus on apprehension and patrol. I wouldn't expect or want these guys ticketing people or responding to domestic disputes/crack heads(Unless requested). Theyre there for first response to any serious call, aiding in apprehension of armed suspects, patrolling, and search and rescue.