View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Your Proposal of a "Posse" is interesting, but it only suggests an "arrest force".

By then, its too late, as the RCMP have identified the Suspect, not prevented the act.

Most Rural Crime is Property Crime of one sort or another, whether its a break in or theft of vehicles.

As many can attest, even if you catch the thief, after the fact, you won't get your stuff back.

Instead, it would make more sense to have more Sherriff patrols on rural areas, at night, especially Cabins that are seasonal use only. This will not be cheap, but cheaper than an RCMP Constable.

What I have proposed to the Sergeant at Athabasca Detachment is a Probationary Order of Banishment from the area for 3 years. That way, if the thief is even SEEN in the area, a Warrant goes for his / her arrest.

The reality is that the trouble makers in the rural areas are usually from the area, and as soon as they are let out, are back at it again as soon as they are back in the area. If they are banished, this is real deterrence, as they have no where to go. Jail does not mean anything to these repeat offenders. Not having anywhere to stay does mean something to them.

Drewski
Well it was just my original idea to not make the guys to busy if they volunteer. Im all for discussion about what their role could be in the community. I would want these guys having the same powers as any peace officer in the province which means they could easily make an arrest or patrol an area. They could also be first response to any serious calls, like someone pulling a gun on a farmer. Probably take them about 15 minutes to get to any scene , but that beats the hell out of 45 minute to an hour response time for RCMP.

Also as for banishment, they'll just go and take someone elses property. The property theft doesn't really bug me to bad. I can replace my vehicle or garden tractor or whatever else they want to take. But when these idiots are showing up with firearms and pulling them on people, thats where I have the issue. We need harsh sentences for anyone using a firearm as part of a crime. Minimum 10 year sentencing for using or being armed in the act of any crime.

Last edited by raab; 10-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.