View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
I was a priority 10 when it was “awarded”. Granted I was one of the lucky 28% of the 10’s.... hopefully with some luck, I’ll get a chance at another Alberta bird. I’d say it’s not the draw system (in regards to the turkey hunt at least) I’d say it’s more fair than other places. And how do they fairly change the system without screwing over the hunters with priorities up near 8 or 9 ?
I don’t profess to know a lot about these birds but do We need to help increase these birds numbers and their range with a little help and hopefully increase our chances at pulling a tag. Or is it the biologists/management plan being to cautious with the numbers of tags released? Some landowners I talked to showed me pictures from April, of flocks over 50 birds. Some areas were teeming with them.
Well, under the current system it should be around 160 years or so till you draw. I guess that's 'fair' haha. Maybe if you're lucky some people will die before then and you can enjoy a hunt at 190 years old??

Its the draw system. While it may seem 'fair' right now, the build up of priority has caused some draws to be practically zero chance of ever drawing in 2 lifetimes. While the priority system works for some cases, a tweak is needed at some point with some randomness, that's painfully obvious and has been talked about for years unfortunately. Several ways to keep a balance of priority/preference and also insert randomness as well.

Either way, sure a lot of options out there for turkeys OTC (I live in the Kootenays now and see them nearly daily lol) in a lot of spots which makes it a bit of a moot point, but tell me how a 14 year old kid would ever expect to draw turkey in Alberta if they started applying this year.....