View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM

If I could be so bold as to try and summarize what loose "facts" we have acquired so far from the poll as well as the discussion. (I'll try to keep my own bias out of it):

1. There are a wide variety of angler choices on the matter of quality vs. quantity.

2. Most agree that we need a variety of angling choices in Alberta.

3. On this poll, ~75% of anglers value catching larger fish more than taking more fish home.

4. On this poll, ~25% of anglers value taking more fish home than catching larger fish.

5. Most that value quality, want:
- more quality lakes in Alberta
- better management of the lakes that do exist (ie. stocking rates, harvest rates, a better definition of quality lakes, etc)
- several places that one could have the opportunity of catching a trophy fish that is relatively close to major centers (Too much variance in what "trophy" or "quality" mean to really nail that down for everyone. Somewhere between 4 and 10lbs+ I would imagine).
- SRD to get their heads out of their.... (Ooops.... couldn't resist.) Back to the facts:

6. Most that value quantity want:
- to make sure there are still lots of lakes that they can keep 3-5 fish of any size, ice fish, and use bait, that are also relatively close to major centers.
- That fish will be relatively easy to catch to appeal to a family fishing experience.

Did I miss anything? Seems reasonable to me.

Anyone else, beside the 4 or 5 of us regular whiners... I mean posters, with anything constructive to add?

Cheers.