View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm appreciating the extended convo on all this because there's honestly alot of strange facts running around. I still believe the only fact that would need concern is there a lake in Alberta that would work out well for bass and or whether there's interest for the species here . I called it a split before and with such little knowledge of the provinces interest in this topic somehow it remains true there's split interests.

Smallies would be awesome, but I think the myths surrounding their damaging introduction is still unproven in any way shape or form. I think this thread is breaking some of those myths down with experience from others who fished lakes with both great bass and trout fishing and more. Things like size of the lake again are myths , it's how you perceive it.

But no matter how you look at it, there's lots of lakes around world with many species and they do very well. If your thinking well largemouth inhale small trout ? That may truly only be a rare case in California where largemouth hit 10-20 lbs let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I could imagine smallies here and with some time they may average 2 maybe 3 lbs and top out at 5 max based on montana records.

And I love the witness first hand stuff , what you put goggles on and watched 2-3 lb bass chasing 4-5 lb trout ? Pleaase

We used to have a small pond stocked with trout in southern Ontario. When the trout bite died in super hot weather the bass were always there making it fun. And even southern Ontario there was no way you would find a bass interfering with the trouts space. They aren't like pike were they could hammer what your reeling in. They segment well into less trout like areas . These fish have had an equilibrium since the beginning so , this is why all the myths are simply that .