View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Haha.

Sure, if you like burning 10% more powder to achieve less than 5% increase in velocity (which is already plenty from the 30.06 for kills to 500yds, conservatively) while enduring marginally higher recoil with the 7mm. Diminishing returns.

Magazine capacity and component availability also go to the 30.06 over the 7mm. Not to mention that the 30.06 tends to be matched with 22 rather than 24 inch tubes, which tend to carry more easily.

Honestly, the 7mm rem is a fine cartridge. I’m looking to build a custom 7mm rem mag, but it will in no way replace my 30.06.
I think it’s way to subjective of a question to answer.

To some people, money is not as much of concern, 10% more powder doesn’t matter as much when you have lots.
To some people, weight doesn’t matter as much simply based on style of hunting.
To some people the increased velocity is worth a lot even if it means spending a bit more.
To some people, recoil isn’t a concern and most may not even notice a difference.
As was mentioned, everyone is at a different level of fitness and age which prioritizes different things.
There’s nothing wrong with either cartridges obviously, but I don’t think it’s fair to say the 06 is a better choice.
However I must say this thread was quite entertaining to read! Lots of different opinions, which I think is because everyone has different needs for what their rifle needs to accomplish and everyone has different things their willing to trade for slight benefits.
I don’t think it’s realistic at all to narrow down to one cartridge/caliber.
But I think a common top 5 is achievable.
My 0.02

Last edited by 270hunter; 01-22-2023 at 09:28 PM.