View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
So I posed this question before. I have both in very similar rifles. I shoot 168 gr bullets in both. One at just over 2900 fps one it just over 3000 fps. Where do I get to see this great big difference in the field between the two?

Thought you were a Barnes guy for both chamberings but not possible if 168 I dont believe.

I didn't say it was a "great big" difference but there's def a diff between the two and you know that..

A bit faster. A bit flatter. Better SD. More energy carried at all ranges with similar weight bullets.

I think the advantages you were trumpeting for the 06 were better bullet selection and heavier bullets which I dont think is a really relevant discussion when A) the majority of hunters use factory ammunition vs reloading and B) would likely shoot 2? maybe 3? different bullet weights for either in their lifetime. Just spitballin but I'd say a large majority of 06 users that ever used 3 diff bullet weights would touch 150, 165, and 180? 7RM users likely 140, 150, 160, 175?? I'm going to knock off the 140's to simplify a question to you.

Same bullet and similar bullet weight. Most commonly used by most, 150 RM vs 150 - 160 RM vs 165, and 175RM vs 180, where does the 06 outperform the 7RM. Whatever boosts you want to give the .308 via reloading you must give same to .284.

I'm actually not really knocking the 06 at all chuck. We both have our preferences and thats cool. I dont give a tinkers about most of the .308's to be honest and just sold the last one I'll ever own. I'm just considering the science and the science says a .284 bullet has better aerodynamics and is more efficient in air than a. 308 bullet and the only way you can match or better the 284 is to drive the .308 faster. Hence the 300WM, etc.

All good. You love your 06 and appreciate the 7RM also, and if it came down to it I'd shoot my Whelen for everything even if its a tad limited in the long range department.