View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 06:20 AM

It doesn't matter whether you shoot clays or birds, the principles are all the same, and fit is important for either. I didn't understand shotgun fit when I was given a shotgun to shoot at eight years old, I just shot the little 410 that was handed to me to shoot. But when I was taught about fit, and I saw how important it was, I thought that I would try and help other people to at least understand how important it was to have a shotgun that points where the shooter is looking. That is why I mention shotgun fit whenever someone is shopping for a shotgun, rather than do as some people do, which is to ignore shotgun fit, and even downplay the importance of fit when it is ,mentioned. Helping other people to at least understand the very basics of shotgun fit helps other shooters to improve their odds of purchasing a shotgun that will make it much easier to shoot to their potential . Personally, I would rather try and help help other shooters, rather than hinder them by not mentioning shotgun fit at all, or worse yet downplay the importance of shotgun fit.
When a new clays shooter comes out, I try to help them to improve their shooting, and I enjoy handing them their 25 straight patch. When I take a person pheasant hunting, I don't shoot until after they shoot, because I want them to shoot the bird. When in a goose blind, I call the youth shooter or new shooter onto birds first, because I want them to see the bird fall, knowing that they shot it. There are times that birds come in that I don't shoot at all, because I am trying to help another shooter to improve their shooting.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-29-2020 at 06:31 AM.