View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
We have a red fox version...2 years old now and by far and away the greatest dog I've ever had. We've had many types of purebreds, and mutts.
He was the runt of the litter, and we're just fine with that. #1 priority/hope for us with a lab puppy was that he'd be an awesome family dog. Bonus if he was able to grasp some upland and duck hunting.
Our guy was never trained, either than what I tried to teach him through some videos I watched. We did one obedience class, involving the wife.

He's a champ with waterfowl. He's Ok with upland, but not even close to pointing. He'll retrieve anything and everything.

Most important: he's laying beside us on the couch and bed every night. Rarely barks, amazing with kids, and smart as all hell. If I pull the camo and guns out, he stares a hole through me until we get in the truck.

Apologies for the long reply, but I'm in the group of people who couldn't care what colour my lab is. He's not going to the Westminister Dog Show @ MSG any time soon.
Red fox colouring is simply a breeder induced moniker for a different shade of yellow.....that has always appeared in labs. Again, Silvers did not appear until the 50's. The fact your lab doesn't inherently point might be a good thing, as theres also research hinting that 'pointing labs' are no more than mixed breed labs with some English pointer in the bloodlines