View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Just wondering if anyone is shooting a cheaper
O/u 20 like a CZ Redhead or Mossberg Silver .
Or any other recommendations you like ....Thnx

I don't have first hand experience with either gun you mention but I'd recommend the CZ over the Mossberg based on reputation alone.

Buying a 20 gauge for the wife based on the assumption that it will recoil less is not always a great idea. Often, 20 gauge guns can recoil even more than 12 gauge guns depending on weight, fit, barrel configuration and the type of ammo being used. Back when I was shooting tens of thousands of rounds per year in competition and not particularly recoil sensitive, I purchased a very light weight 20 o/u for hunting and it kicked me so bad I couldn't stand to put one box of target rounds through it!
When I say barrel configuration I'm referring to bore diameter, forcing cone and choke length mostly. Weight is a big factor in recoil management and field guns are generally lighter than target guns. Many guns don't fit the shooter properly and I see people with bruised cheeks because of it. They only take that for so long before they give up shooting, fit is extremely important.
The best thing is to let her try some different types of guns and let her chose before making a decision and don't rule out 12 gauge guns either. My wife and many other women shoot 12 gauge guns all day long with no discomfort. Just don't hand her a box of 3 inch goose loads and expect her to like it right off the bat!
The main point here is that make is secondary to the above mentioned weight and fit.