View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
A very successful method for me, that I haven't seen mentioned yet is AMBUSH. In more open country, feeding animals often slowly 'drift' in a pretty consistent direction. Instead of trying to stalk them where they're at, be very still and wait until they're out of sight, and then stalk to where they're going to be.
I find that gives me lots of time to settle in, get comfortable and my breathing under control and then as the target comes into view I can take a good, clean, unhurried shot on an unsuspecting animal.
I guess I would lump this in with spot and stalk, but I agree with you. Getting ahead of a moving animal is often a more successful strategy than trying to stalk a stationary one, albeit less precise and depending a little more on guesswork. I'm generally pretty comfortable with a fair degree of guesswork though, and all the benefits you listed are entirely true.

This can work in fairly dense country too when the variables are right, of course getting the guesswork right becomes more critical.