View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I think the best answer is to hunt how the situation demands.
My go to options usually include:
I’m not going to sit in my favourite bear area. I’m gonna wear off my rhino tires spotting and stalking. On the flip side, I have patterned elk to where I’ll sit tight to intercept between food and bed. Moose (when not rutting)for me (varies by the time of year too) is more of a still hunt (i.e.- walking very slowly and glassing like crazy to catch them before they catch you). Sheep is a sit and glass game and trying to stay mentally sharp. Antelope is a glass and manoeuvre game. Whitetail I usually find myself calling from a tree or ground blind. Wind is a huge factor in most of these as well.

There is really no best way to hunt “Alberta”. You hunt the best way to find success. To find success you need to learn habitat and what the game is doing in that particular area. Those lessons learned from hunting one area can usually be applied to other areas. It’s a maturing, learning process. The very best part of hunting in my opinion- unlocking secrets as you go to add to your arsenal of approach/ methods.

Above is listed the ways I will usually approach it. But I would have to say nearly every species requires you to be proficient in all forms and methods. The guys on this forum who successfully kill not just what they’re after, but big animals consistently will most likely agree that you need to adapt to the situation and employ a big bag of tricks.

My $.02
Well put

And having a little luck!