Thread: Archery Caribou
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

I've hunted Caribou in BC for a few years... I've always wanted to take one with a bow. I'm not sure how they act in the early season, but in the rut (when I was hunting them) they seem to be very approachable. The seem to always be skylined, or at least close to the tops of the mountains, so expect lots of time on foot getting to them. Once close, it seemed that as long as we stayed downwind they were not spooked, even though we were right out in the open. I took some video of a herd at about 100 yards, maybe a dozen each of cows and bulls. The big herd bull (not enough points up top to take him) started to get nervous by our presence, and began to trot around 'herding' up his cows. The cows would want to come closer to us out of curiosity, but the big bull kept cutting them off on the slope and forcing them away. Very interesting to watch. As far as range to expect, they aren't likely to let you walk right up to them; I'm sure our 100 yards was as about as close as they were comfortable with; so a typical stalk will be required. Definitely not spooky animals though. Some of the big herds like the ones you may run into in NWT may be a different ball game - I'd like to experience that some day. Good luck with your hunt!