View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
My fiance drew a tag this year and she is hoping to get a velvet buck with her bow, I've taken the first week of September off to hopefully help her out and find her a nice buck. When ever I have spare time I have been out scouting in her zone to hopefully find some nice bucks and have an idea where to start for when the time comes.

While out scouting I am finding most of the bucks in the canola crops, the crop is in bloom right now. So I guess my question is, are the mule deer still hanging around canola crops that opening week? With it being such a hot year are farmers going to harvesting about that time? I'm finding that the canola is so tall in our area that the bucks are very hard to find and we wouldn't be able to get a shoot because the crop is over their back.

There is lots of wheat, barley, and peas in the area. Once these other crops head out are the deer more likely to moving into these areas over the canola?

I've killed a few 170s archery mule deer in the past but I've never gone after them so early in the year. Either way I will figure it out but I was just wondering if anyone to like to share some tactics for early season mule deer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
nice pict