View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post

I can see you under think a lot ..it's my choice starting with elk ..I have used the .243 on deer and to me it's not my choice for elk in grizz country .... most of your hunting is what am asking for .. did you start out hunting deer southern SK then think it becomes a darn great elk cartridge ? where do you hunt ? for all we know the 30-30 maybe your overall choice ..
Funny thing about the under think part, is I pretty much over think everything I do. Trying to get away from that and just enjoy life, get things done (done is better than perfect), and spend time doing what I value
I only have a 300 wsm so it's what I use for everything. Worked up a great load for it with 180gr accubonds. I'd love to try some 165 gr Barnes but if it ain't broke. ...
I started with the 300 wsm based on looking for an all around cartridge. Wanted something with some punch and 30 cal bullets are widely available. Thought it might be fun to try out the short mag. If I eventually get another multi purpose gun, it'll probably be a 6.5x55
I buy elk and black bear tags and hunt the northern bush near farmland (not supposed to be grizz country). Had a moose draw once too. Haven't bought a deer tag in years. In those situations, shooting opportunities are rarely more than 150 yards. 243 would kill them all but I have a 300 wsm and like it
Every other gun below is what I borrow:
Shot my first deer with the trusty 30-30.
Shoot a lot of coyotes with the 22-250. Excellent cartridge for that. Like the 25-06 too.
Long range target has been 7 wsm and 338 lapua imp. Just plain fun.
Plenty of practice with 7mm rem mag and only have a moose and coyotes killed with it so the verdict is still out on whether it works in Alberta

Edit: just went back to your first post. Looks like we use the same cartridge for similar reasons. I'd like to go for sheep one day and would only consider a different cartridge because my 300 wsm Steyr is on the heavy side. Might rather buy a custom lightweight stalk instead of new rifle though. Otherwise same order of targeted game as you

Last edited by kujoseto; 01-10-2017 at 12:18 PM.