View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIUS View Post
Right on Kurt
Genesis 9 ( not a quote )when the ark landed we were given all the animals of the land, sea and air as our food. Sounds like a god given right to me.

In any event any time you have a two separate laws based on anything you are creating discrimination. Discrimination that in many cases leads to outbursts of racism. I stand against racism but not against the outcries of persons wishing to be free of discriminating laws.
For me that goes to all levels including race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
In Canada we have created many laws which are by their very nature discriminatory. From Our criminal code to and including portions of the charter of rights and freedoms. Some of these laws were made to appease specific groups and to acquire the voting power of these groups.
Canada is a great Country to live in but I see an awful future based on people finally being told they will have to be equal to all others.
Genesis 1:26 may be a better fit.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Dominion over, for those who don''t understand outdated terms, means authority over.

Odd that a native would make such an argument. From what I have read they saw wildlife as co-inhabitants not as a resource that could be claimed.

To me it sounds like an argument some lawyer came up with.

I agree, discriminatory laws do promote conflict between groups.

However, it seems to me that FN are caught in a no win situation.
In many places they are not welcome in the rest of society yet can not survive on what's available on reserve without government handouts.

The FN people I know hate being dependent on anyone. They'd much rather provide for themselves even if that means living in tents in the bush.
Most have little desire to live the way we do, as slaves to a job and to technology but the environment no longer has the ability to sustain a traditional way of life for them.

What are they supposed to do?

Should they turn their backs on what little they have and face certain rejection in the modern world, or try to return to what they know, providing for themselves off the land they once owned?

It's not an easy question to answer, for them or for us.

George Bernard Shaw