View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
There are no perch in Hasse any longer. It winterkilled hard for a few years in a row. It still remains to be seen if the stocked rainbows will survive a summer. Water quality may be marginal.

I suggest those folks who want quality stocked trout fishing need to let AEP know. When Dolberg was changed to a quality fishery, some Barrhead area locals, in particular the County and the Barrhead F&G club, complained bitterly, saying that their lake should be managed for families, not elite fly fishers. That, despite knowing that only a very small number of lakes are managed for quality or even capable of providing it.

I don’t think that thinking outside the box is a problem. The challenge is probably dealing with competing interests and loud voices.
Wow. I’m surprised no perch survived. I would still recommend stocking some browns just to be sure.

One thing people need to decide is are stocked lakes just a storage repository for trout before going into a freezer and is it a free for all to kill them all as fast as possible...

Or...

Should it be a controlled release of trout over time while affording a recreational past time that is rewarding due to a catchable population of trout.

In other words managing a lake for catch rate versus kill rate.

For those wanting to catch and not kill...the recreational component remains critical.

For those wanting to kill...a consideration is that over time a quality fishery will allow a harvest over a longer period. Combine that with fish of a much larger size...the ratio of meat to number of fish killed remains fairly even.

Consideration some don’t give to the conversation is a harvest of five 10 inch trout likely gibes as much meat as one 20 inch trout.

But the best thing is...having a lake to catch fish in the day after stocking or 6 months later provides way more value to the community as a whole.

F&W can do a survey however, no one wants a lake with nontrout in it.

My feelings on the subject.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin