View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
If I am shooting beaver I use a .17 but I also use 20grain full metal jackets. The Vmax or other varmit rounds like to explode. Hit a beaver in the head with a vmax and its gonna explode against the skull tearing the hide wide open. Just my experience.
If I need to dispatch any animals on the trapline I use .22 shorts. I bought a little single shot Henry mini bolt that is always on the line with me. If I am driving around and think I might see a lynx or coyote I will pack the .17 with me for distance shots. I have shot a couple of Lynx with the .17. Had a bit of sewing to do but wasn't too bad.
I shoot 17 grain HMR in VMAX, they are the best hands down. When shooting an animal that fur will be harvested from, it is very important that the target is at a 90 deg angle, or very close to it when shot. Bullet will then do its job properly, and not deflect into hide. I have shot hundreds of beavers, coyotes, lynx, wolf, etc. with the 17 HMR. Never an exit hole on a skull shot....that being in said, I don't shoot them from 2 feet away either. 10-20 yards preferred, 17 will shoot a sub 1/2 MOA at that distance. 22 is best at close distance, but I refuse to carry 2 guns, I have enough crap already. Since I learned to shoot at a 90 deg angle, I have never had to sew anything with a 17. 3 eyed beavers, can't even tell there is a hole in a Lynx or Coyote. My 2 cents for what it is worth, everyone will find what they prefer.

Spruce