View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Congrats to everyone with a harvest so far!! Knew I wouldn't get much time because got married end of July and have honeymoon end of September. I got out opening day and two evenings so far. One of which I called in cow and calf elk. Usually wouldn't shoot a cow but this year its gunna be take first opportunity to fill the freezer. So I let her walk because of the calf.

That evening I tried a new area, hadn't seen much for sign where I normally hunt. On my walk in I got to a spring drainage that the beavers had all dammed up and with the recent ton of rain had quite a bit of water. The only place to cross was on the very fresh very sketchy beaver dam. Fast forward to the walk back. Normally I hunt right to last legal light and walk out in the dark but didn't wanna cross the dam in the dark. Good thing cause when I got about 300 yrds from it a big black bear came running out of the timber right to the dam. With daylight fading by the minute I decided I better just cross now than to wait and be hangin out with him in the dark. First step in I thought I was gunna be swimming, was all the way up to my belly. Anyways got across and up the bank on the other side just in time to barley make out the bear still standing by the dam. Felt lucky to not have a confrontation with him but forgot the range finder in my pocket. Hope it still works. Next time I get out will be an evening hunt on the seventh. Fingers crossed for some meat to saunter my way!! Good luck to everyone else!!