View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I was born in 1954, long after the buffalo were gone.

I have seen a profound drop in the numbers of many species. Moose, Fish, even Ducks.

Certain wildlife populations may have increased but many have been devastated by modern farming practices and habitat loss.

I don't get that from research, I get that from hands on, boots on the ground observation.

There is plenty of research out there that was done in the library, not in the field.

But you are right about unregulated hunting, at least with modern equipment. That is not sustainable and in fact is why we have conservation laws.

1954 was after two mass predator poisoning campaigns. I’m willing to bet there were more moose in the North Peace in 1954 than there was in 1900. If the moose population has decreased since then, I doubt that habitat loss is the problem as they are thriving on the farmland in eastern Alberta. There are no moose in many areas of Alberta that haven’t seen a tire track for 40 years.

Didn’t the government increase the limit on Snow geese to 50/day because the tundra can’t take the strain anymore? That suggests to me that the goose population (and likely duck) has benefitted from how humans have altered their habitat by increasing the food supply.

Please provide some examples of species that are in decline due to modern farming practices.

I’ve been going on mountain pack trips since I was 13 and ranched in the Peace Country for 15 years, so I also have some boots on the ground experience to go along with my research.

Gerry Burnie