Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Standing behind a bale on the field in the evening today (had an hour to get out), I was thinking I only hunt elk in the morning or in the evening. Because of where I live, I have a luxury of hitting the bush in the morning, head back home before noon (or even earlier), and then go back for an evening hunt if I want to and time allows.

I have a couple of weekdays when I can be in the bush by 2PM or so this week, so I was wondering how do you approach your hunt in those hours? I searched a little on the net but couldn’t find much. It appears while some say that most elk was killed between 10am and 2pm, most seem to be of an opinion that a guy should head back to camp after the morning hunt (which, I guess, is what I do heading back home).

What do you guys do in the middle of the day when looking to put down a bull? It’s a river valley, I know where they bed (unless they moved out from the area for a day or two). There isn’t one specific place though since it’s a large area without much pressure. What about calling? What calls do you use in those hours?

I was thinking to create another thread, but thought this one would be appropriate and others may find the info useful if anyone replies and it has everything to do with tactics.

Basic Elk day schedule. Feed at night, travel to bed by morning, bed until the sun goes down, travel to feed, feed all night, repeat.. Usually from sun up until 10-11 am Elk are traveling to bedding areas. It's my experience you won't call them off course to you. They have a destination in mind and are not easily swayed. Once bedded a hunter has better than average chance to call Elk. Locate a bedded bull by blessing ( if possible) or location bugle. Often bulls will bugle from their bed giving away their location. That's when you pull out your calling skills to bring those bulls to you. Honestly check put Paul Medel the Elk nut. He's one of the best at calling and killing lazy bedded bulls. Check put his " slow play" sequence. Exactly what your needing