View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
That would seem to be the proper way of looking at it. If you can’t follow the laws of society why do you deserve the rights?

I had an uncle who did a year a while ago. He said it was a pretty decent break from the rat race, didn’t have to worry about anything and lots of activities to keep a guy occupied. Free education coarses ect. He’s a bachelor with no responsibility and said he wouldn’t mind going back again.

I think criminals should come out with a fear of ever having to return.
For many it's a better life then they had on the outside. For someone like me it would be like living in Stephen Hawking's body.

In school we did a prison tour, we each got handcuffed, finger printed and locked in a cell. It still gives me chills to think about the sound of that door clanging shut behind me. I would rather die then go through that again.

Some of my school chums said it reminded them of home and I think they meant it. That is scary.
But what do you do to a guy who got locked in his room for days at a time and beaten almost every day when he was young? The only prison that would scare him would have to be worse then what he had already lived through. It would be worse then inhumane.

I've seen guys like that break down and bawl like a baby when they learned that one person in the world actually cared about them.

No one is born a criminal. Criminals are made by the circumstances they grew up with. How do you counter that? Clearly punishment is not the answer. And promising a pardon that does nothing isn't the answer either.

I don't know what will work, I only know that what we are doing does not work. The few who do change, do so despite a system that does nothing but lock them away for a while.

No amount schooling or training is going to help when the system and society says once a criminal always a criminal. Without hope there is no incentive to change.

I feel for the police who are caught in the middle of this broken system.

George Bernard Shaw