View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 05:20 PM

Excellent story. Nice collection of keepsakes. Be sure to write down the history of the guns as they are handed forward. Stories get twisted over time so the written account will keep the provindence with the guns for future family members.

The scope does look like a Weaver I had on my first gun, a husqvarna 30-06. It was a stationary 4X with fine recticle lines. Was a geat scope. Definitely worth keeping and using on the 308. The checkerplate on these older guns were hand worked and finished by hand. A pattern jig and a file. Not pressed or routed like some of todays guns.

I just made a list a couple days ago.. of the old original winchester guns my Dad had. When ever he brought a "new" old gun home I always got to try them out. He had literally dozens of old winchesters from 1866 to 1895 models. I'm sure all were manufactured before 1900. His collection was sold over the course of a couple decades.
These are the guns I remember shooting in the 1960's and 70's.
25-35 WCF winchester
30-30 winchester
32-20 WCF winchester
30 US winchester, (also known as 30-40 krag)
38-40 winchester
38-55 winchester
32 winchester special
44 henry rimfire winchester
44-40 winchester
45-60 winchester
45-70 winchester
50-110 Winchester (shot in a 1886 lever action winchester gun, buffalo express)
10 gauge winchester (shot in a 1887 lever action winchester shotgun)
And a few different gauges of single shot winchester shotguns.

Several other winchester 20 calibers. From the 1895 hex barreled pump action 22 s/l/lng rifle to the bolt action 220 swift and 218 Bee.

Probably a few I don't remember too. Wish I had the collection now.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-27-2019 at 05:34 PM.