View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Guys have been doing this for years now, since 2015 when dollar shot down and patch died.

Bought a slip tank off a guy in 2016 who was moving oilfield trucks down south by the semi load weekly. He’d take off the toolboxes, slip tanks, wood box liners, decals, try and make them look as non-patch as possible then sell them for a good premium. Offered to buy the diesel I had at the time right there for cash (and it was a good price too).

Dealers have been sending most of their used inventory down south for a good while also.
True, but has been going on for a lot longer than that. Back in the mid 70s, when the first oil shock hit Europe, a buddy and I were buying used sports cars in Italy, Germany, Spain and France. There was zero market or demand for them in Europe as gas quadrupled in price and these got poor mileage relative to other cars. We brought them back to Canada in container loads and re-sold them here for between 2 and 5 times what we bought them for. Have done the same over the years in the States, Germany etc depending on availability and exchange rates. Other than one personal car a few years ago haven't done any lately as I was far too busy at work. Now that I am retired, starting to think it might be time to take another run at it.