Thread: WMU 936 elk
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 AM

I just hunt grouse in there now, but I used to hunt big game in there for around 20 seasons.
Man...those were some adventures. getting animals out of there without horses took a lot of work and you better be in shape.
The bush is THICK so you better hope you drop something in a field or right on the trail.
The last moose we got...shot it at about 30 yards...it bolted to the other side of a swamp and died making it about a 350-yard trek back to the trail through the thickest willows and just deadfalls everywhere.
Even with horses...they wouldn't have helped us in that thick undergrowth deadfall.

The last whitetail I got in there...I won't even tell the story of getting him out, cause no one would believe it. Let's just say, if you plan on shooting a deer 5km from the truck, and it's your partners turn to bring lunch...make sure he packs more than 1 tuna fish sandwich and a hand full of werthers candies!!! We're older and smarter now.

I pretty much stay close to the staging areas now with the dog chasing birds around. I havent seen a whitetail in the last 3 years, but I haven't been looking either.

Great place to hunt, but be in shape and prepared.