Thread: Pointer Breed
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 AM

I have an 11 year old Brittany. Wonderful dog. Gentle, loving, barks about once a month, doesn't fight with other dogs, has never bitten or even growled at a human. Great family dog. I can leave a steak sitting on the coffee table and come back and it's still there. He will NOT grab and run. DOES required a fair amount of exercise, which is probably true of most hunting dogs. We give him two walks a day (one off leash) totaling about 75 minutes. I also got him because I didn't want a dog as big as a lab or golden, setter, etc. No long tail bashing things over too.

Decent upland dog, though he would be better if I was a better trainer. Brits win plenty of awards. His lack of high performance is MY fault. He will also do waterfowl and will happily swim out and retrieve a still-live duck. He wants to go. He cries when I shoot and miss. He does balk at going in later in the season when it's pretty cold and he has to break ice. He's not built for it. A lab is. GSP also sounds good but I've zero experience with them.