Thread: Pointer Breed
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Here is mine a Large Munsterlander

The big issue with them is that there are not many breeders , the upside is that most if not all are “by hunters for hunters” so once you get on a list for a litter chances are you will get a good hunter.

Dash is on the big side for breed @75lb there is a female in town that is 45lb but that is on the small side for a female.

At 5 years old he has settled down a lot, but those first two years he needed lots of off leash, but even now he gets an hour or more of off leash every day. But in general an awesome family dog, though I doubt that there is a breed of bird dog that could be considered a bad family dog. But I would call the breed high energy so a “big yard” won’t help.

As a hunter he is fantastic, a perfect fit for a mixed bag hunter LM’ as a rule love water . Early season upland I do have to be mindful of keeping him cool , and late season upland there is no such thing as too cold and seems to find another gear. For waterfowl he is fine until the last few 2-3 weeks before freeze up, the breed does not have a double coat so he gets wet. Even with a vest in my opinion he gets too cold. He was in his third hunting season before he was settled down enough to sit in a blind, but I think that was more a function on how I trained him.

Just another one of many fantastic breeds out there

Last edited by aulrich; 03-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.