View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Took a year and a half, but I have a new Tikka 204!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I've got a T3 hevi barrel in 204R (think its 24") all factory except for the stock (which I broke with my ribs in a car wreck but that's another story). I can usually do better with 32gr Vmax than 40Vmax. Side by side groups, on average, are about .25" larger with the 40's than the 32's. These are all handloads. At the speeds I'm producing, ballistics show that the 32 shoots flatter and has similar energy than the 40 as well so I pretty much stay with the 32's. I rarely go past about 300 yds cuz I'm just not confident out there.

That hevi barrel is a pain to carry around, and awkward to manoever
and shoulder but it's my fav gun to shoot. I never carry it far so that's fine by me. Tikka triggers are pretty tough to improve on. I've got a Timney in my 270 and it is better but not by much. Maybe just a bit crisper.

I'll find my speed/recipe and post it later.

Edit: I forgot I've got a Waters 9shot metal clip as well. Huge improvement over the factory plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
32 gr V-max, 27.2gr Benchmark. T3 Varmint. 3 shots into one hole, just little bigger than a single shot hole.
Hey guys...when I said "new" rifles are few and far between, I meant it! lol A year and a half after posting this thread, a new Varmint in 204 is sitting at home...waiting for the first shoot. Actually, waiting for the right height of rings...and THEN the first shoot.

I'm pouring over PMs, this thread, others online...and looking for recipes using 32gr. V-Max bullets. Not in a panic though, the 17 Hornet is whacking groundhogs again this year.

Anyhow, I don't compete anywhere/any time...so no fear I'll take your loads and go win any $ or notoriety. Just looking to rearrange Ontario groundhogs with my new gun. Plain and simple! Oh, and I picked-up some factory 32gr. Hornady Superperformance, as I typically run factory ammo through a new gun first...and Hornady brass as always served me well.

Thanks for taking a moment to respond.