Thread: statins
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 PM

I've been on a statin for many years now. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes, so when my blood cholesterol started rising, my doctor put me on them. I am aware of the side-effects but have not experienced them myself. There is a fairly large variety so you should work with your doctor to find what works best for you. I've kept my cholesterol controlled with statins. I also watch my diet, stay active and exercise regularly. No guarantee but stats show statins definitely increase the odds of living longer in your favor.

My older brother always boasted that he didn't need cholesterol drugs because he figured his cholesterol was low since he was slim and trim (unlike me). Well, he had to have a quadruple bypass heart surgery, and then a couple of years later, he suffered a severe stroke that affected his speech and mobility. It wasn't long before he died from the complications. It wasn't pretty.

Statins are one of the many reasons people live longer than they used to. Why would you deny yourself that opportunity?