View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 PM

WOW, I got more than I bargined for. Thank you all for the advice and information. I would like you all to know that I am the owner of a 243.

There was alot of descussion about quarter - odd, and I am sure it is a great cal.

BUT...as I said, I am using this gun for dogs FIRST. I was looking for something that is a little easyer on pelts. Now I understand the 22-250 might be one of the 2 best ways to go, but I already have a 22-250. I am afraid that if I was to buy another one, with a bolt action, my single shot might not see the light of day.
I feel the 25-06 is somewhere along the lines of a 6.5x55 or a 7m-08. Both of which I curently own. A superb deer gun, as I subscribe to the theory of too much is better than not enough. I have a 7mm and a .300 for larger game, like Elk and moose, for me it is a tool box. Just in this case, ididn't want to own thow of the same cal. for the same pourpous.

A side not foy you all, I was given a hand load of 7mm shells once from a friend of mine. I am not sure, but I think it was loaded with a 100gr. partition. I am not sure so don't quote me on this. They were also a "HOT" load as he had said. I thought they would be great for deer. Well they were, as long as the deer were out to 300yrds. It hit where i was aiming. The issues were with deer that were within 100 yrds. as is the case most of the times.
I thought I was hitting the deer in a good spot, but I was unable to recover tne first tow I hit at these closer range. I tracked and tracked, finding just little spots of blood here and there. Night came fast and I never did end up finding them.
I was lucky enough to find the third deer I hit in the following year. When I started to gutt and skin the deer, I found that there were scorh marks at the entry hole and through to the vitals.
I guess this is were, my theory comes into play...

Is it possable for a bullet to be too fast, fast enough that the bullet was getting so hot that it scorched or almost cotterized the hole as it went? I knoe this is a lot to ask, but I had once heard that a 22-250 shot at 20yrds will go through a 1/4" steel plate where as other larger cals. won't. It has something to do with the whole energy is given off in heat and light? It MELTS it's way through? I have never seen this nor am I willing to stand behind a point blank shot at 20 yrds at a 1/4" steel plate neither.

Surely someone here could prove or disprove these wispers???

Thanks again for the very informative thread guys...

CH