Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
So, after five years you have roughly 500 sheep hunters sitting on the side line. You've still got over 1,500 sheep hunters hunting for 140 sheep. That's adding in zero recruitment. I'm sure out of those 1,500 sheep hunters, at least 140 are willing to kill a sheep. Now just for arguement sake, lets say 25% of the rams killed are 8 years or greater. Likely rams that any of the 1,500 will kill if they are looking for a mature ram. So now you only need 105 hunters out of the remaining 1,465 hunters that are willing to kill a sub 8 year old ram. To me the math adds up to the same amount of sheep being killed.
Ok 2000 guys running around out there can only find 140 rams. You honestly think 1500 are gunna find the same amount? There are always gunna be some guys that decide that they dont wanna wait so they are gunna pass on that just legal first ram and hold out to be able to hunt more. Always gunna be lots of guys holding out for that big ram. Alwalys gunna be a few older guys leaving the sport(which will eliminate most of the total hunter increase of new hunters).

We both know that there isnt hundreds of new hunters flooding the mountains every year or we would be over populated in no time. No matter what you preach less hunters in the field can do nothing but decrease hunter harvest.

Your giving way more credit to alot of guys. Not to offend anyone but not everyone that goes sheep hunting is capable of killing a sheep. There are alot of great hunters that can but also alot of guys out there that just arent able to physicaly or mentaly. They try and put in an honest effort but just isnt gunna happen.

Like I said this isnt my first choice but it is better than no action to me!
SG