Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That works if the success rate is high but it's not. There arent a lot of legal sheep out there and there is a line up of hunters to kill them. You take less than 7% of the hunters out of the pool each year and isn't going to change the harvest numbers significantly....it can't. Sure there are guys with multiple rams but unless I'm really out of touch, I can't imagine there are more than a handful of guys that kill a ram every two years. And when did management become about punishing those that work hard and are good at what they do? I would like to think that resident opportunities were equal for all.......regardless of skill level.
But how is letting someone shoot a ram before implementing a wait punishing them. It a majestic bighorn sheep!!! Many people never get the oppertunity to hunt one and many guys are against all this because they feel its there right to shoot 4 or 5 or more.
You guys talk like there are an endless number of sheep hunters joining sheep hunting every year.
Well maybe down south where you hunt but most places I go frequently you run into most guys every year around the same time in the same area! Most new guys you bump into say ya we hunted else where last year and thought we would try here this year. You run into very limited number of first time hunters. And if you do chances are they are a younger generation offspring of a sheep hunter. Sure there are a few coming in every year but I beleive from what I have seen that it is a very small percentage of the sheep hunting population.