Thread: Elk travel
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM

The order of the pushing is interesting to note.

yes, the bull will tend to be last in the line of the herd when travelling.... I think most ungulates operate this way.

I'll add one thing from my last encounter to this piece. I got on the bull and the herd because it sounded like not a terribly big bull.... and he was instantly moving away from us. This was early evening so I figured my locator bugle was too much of a "big guy" bugle..... which I shoulda known based on where I was hunting.

I did catch up to the herd ... and they were moving pretty good at first.... then i accidentally got kindof right in between the wagon train... I got thrown for a loop because a spiker was coming my way. Sometimes spikers can be considered calves... and the herd bull won't push them out. The herd bull was in fact behind the spiker and the last in the travel line. The nice thing about established herd patterns in thick bush is.... man! you'll see the path.

There are some mountain areas that have had herds bedding areas in places for years.... because the lead cow likes it and predators/hunters/quads haven't found them really....these trails are pretty identifiable. Old burns with blowdown spots leading to what used to be a clearing in the forest (with water)can turn into elk fortresses....

Quad activity affect bedding spots lots.... but not so much travel routes to and from said routes.

I know of three spots down here where the herd regularly crosses/uses a quad trail to get to and from their bedding spots.

Setting up on the these trails isn't a bad bet. But many bedding areas will have more than one route out to other feeding spots.

You blow the beds..... they won't be back for long long long time.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."