Thread: Elk travel
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Hunt around the bedding area not in it. Attempt to locate a bull with either bugles or cow calls and set up within 200 yds of where they are bedding. Play off the bulls reaction. If he lets out a lazy bugle don't lip bawl him. Work him up slowly. Start out like your a new cow in the area with a few mews. Slowly add in raking low chuckles moans, grunts and glunks like your a bull displaying for that cow. Work the emotion up slowly, really sell it. Remember your talking to the cow in front of you not the bull your trying to kill. So keep it subtle and quiet. You will probably hear the bull chuckle to call the cow over to him. Cut him off with a short bugle. Give a cow contact call then wait for his bugle. Cut him off again repeat until he's red eyed and frothing. He will come.
If he's already red eyed when you first locate him he will challenge you right off by cutting your bugle off. This means he probably has a hot cow. Use the wind and try to call that cow from him. Use chuckles and bugles ignoring him and just talking to his cow he will get infuriated. Push him somewhat but not hard enough for him to gather his cows and booger.
Make sure the wind is right. If there's elevation try to be either at the same or lower elevation as him.
Have fun, good luck
This is a really good set of instructions! I’ll have to try this when I go out tomorrow. I always just cow call, but I’ll try to work the bulls up the way you suggests and see how it goes.