Thread: Wabamun Pike
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
I have found that there are still healthy pike in Wabamun, and that perhaps they are changing diet. I have caught more than 1 small walleye from shore in the weeds that had massive bite marks in their flanks, maybe some of the big girls have adapted to swallowing 12" walleye whole?

I also caught a 39 inch, 12+ pound slough shark from Wabamun in October, there is a thread in the forum with pictures for those curious.

They will be fewer and further between because of the eyes but with a lake the size of Wab there will always be a population of nice fish unless there is a full on kill from lack of oxygen.
Back in June I was fishing in moonlight bay and was watching a ~12" walleye follow my fly up to the boat. Right as the walleye reached the surface a nice sized pike t-boned it and scared the **** out of me. I watched it sit on the bottom afterwards for about 10 mins just holding the walleye sideways in its mouth. Ended up leaving the area before seeing how/if the pike finished eating it. Pretty cool to see. They are definitely going after them!