View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 PM

X3 on the harness. Makes me shudder thinking about all the needless bad spots and close calls because of not employing something so simple. The straw that would have broke my back or pelvis I’m sure was a tree step breaking. I had started using the harness at this time and I’m sure it saved my life or at the very least, me from a serious injury. Having both hands available is a game changer.

I use both ladders and hang ons. Ladders more in areas that are accessible by quad or truck. They are nice and quiet/sturdy for sure but limited in versatility as others have mentioned. Nice having a shooting rail if you’re doing double duty with a firearm too. The seats are quite nice for extended arse time.

My favourite hang ons are Lone Wolf Alpha IIs I believe. Nice and light. Super stable. The seat they come with is ok for short sits(4 hours or less) but all day sits you’ll want something a little more plush. Cost is restrictive as they are not cheap. I run quite a few Big Game hang ons too. Heavier and I don’t find them quite as rock solid on the tree but far from scary. Most stands occupy a tree for consecutive seasons so weight becomes a bit of a moot point.

I haven’t used a climber since ‘94 so I can’t comment on how skookum today’s models may or may not be.