View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Not with a belly boat but this summer I had my first experince with a inflatable fishing pontoon.

Something like this;

We used it on Great Slave Lake, or rather a bay on Great Slave Lake.
The furthest I took it out was about half mile from shore.

It felt very safe. I was not even a bit concerned being out there, not even when I hooked a 14 pound pike and had to drag it to shore to unhook it.

I was wearing a PFD but would have felt the same without one.
BTW I do not know how to swim.

I've never used a belly boat or float tube.
To be honest I don't think I'd feel safe in one unless I was on dry land.

To my mind they are too much like a PFD and I don't have much faith in PFDs.
I'd rather put my trust in a good boat and wise decission making.
You are never too old to learn how to swim. I feel more comfortable than most in the water. Though I sink like a rock, I was in a swim club when I was younger. It's a good feeling to be able to swim across a lake even though I may not be as strong a swimmer as when I used to do it more regular. Swam out about a 1/4 mile into the ocean when we went to California about a year and a half ago.

Though if I was going out farther in a boat, I would want a PFD. I don't know why you wouldn't have faith in one. They are all closed cell foam, and if you have it on right, you can't slip out. And they weigh next to nothing. And if I was going far out in very cold water regularly (or more than a few times) I would be investing in a Mustang 2 suit, meant to keep a person alive in frigid water.

Have you practiced getting into your boat from the water in the event you fall in?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!