View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM

Exclamation What's the Largest Body of Water You Used Your Float Tube?

I have to be honest I am a little nervous of taking my tube into large/deep bodies of water, even though deep down I know that if anything crazy were to happen without a pfd I would be just as dead in 7' of water as I would be in 150.

I guess in larger bodies of water you have more to worry about, such as wake from larger boats / waves from more wind because of the open water and simply the distance you can possibly drift from shore.

I am just curious what you are personally done. I am pretty sure to date the largest body of water I have been in is wedge pond ... which certainly not that big at all.

I have only had my tube a relatively short amount of time and have already thought of taking it to some of the nooks and crannies of larger reservoirs.

Where would you draw the line? When you are in a boat or even a canoe a channel 400m wide seems just wide enough to troll around and make big wide turns but when you are in the middle 200m from shore with only a pair of fins to get you around it seems a little careless.

Anyways perhaps I am just inexperienced. I know with my old inner tube style there is literally no way to fall out of it so I guess you would only worry about deflating, and with my newer fishcat there is nothing to actually keep you in your seat so even though the ride is warmer and more efficient there is more risk.

Let me know what you think