View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

We are in the process of building our 40 x 60 shop as we speak. The crew left y-day after getting the plywood on the trusses now we have to wait for the picker truck to lift the roof into place. I don't have any exact numbers but we have somewhere on the order of $20K into the slab on grade foundation before we started putting up the building. Concrete is mondo big dollars. We have been doing the lion's share of the work ourselves, just my wife and myself, with some strategic help from son-in-laws, nephews and friends. We built almost all of the walls then had our nephew come in and erect them and put together our trusses and he will get the trusses in place and have the plywood on the roof then we will take over and do it ourselves again. It is much slower doing it ourselves (we are both in our 50's) but we are saving some dollars. Am off to the Big Stink again today to pick up more plywood at Mr Plywood. They are far and away the least expensive place to buy plywood...beat Home Depot and Rona etc by $4 per sheet. Home Depot promised me they would match and beat any competitors price by 10% on the phone. I said check with the manager. Asst. manager said yup, we will match and beat. Got there and store manager said nope, won't do it. I expected as much and just walked away.
So far we have built the pad, set the forms, laid the rebar, laid in floor piping and insulation and built the walls ourselves with some help. Would have been further ahead or done but last fall I tore the tendon off my bicep muscle so was laid up for the winter. Once the basic structure is up we will continue on our own again. Metal roofing, plywood on the walls, siding, insulation, wiring, ceiling etc etc etc. Hope to be done before I die.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.