View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I agree wool is fantastic for baselayers. I am curious what peoples absolutely outer layer is. As you said you wear a windproof layer. What type of material is it? Rain proof hard shell or a softshell type thing?
For real cold weather I generally just wear straight wool as an outer layer, if the wind is cutting through I just wear more wool or sometimes a denim shirt under my outer layer. I stay on the move when hunting, and in cold weather any synthetic just doesn't breathe enough, even with the denim shirt in the mix I'm prone to getting clammy.

Most of the season I wear a fleece or merino wool base layer, then either a micro fleece or wool pant depending on how cold it is. Up top its either a vest or wool coat, and wool sweaters underneath if needed.

In the past I've had good luck while winter trekking down to -30 just using heavy cotton coveralls as an outer layer, and wool underneath as needed. Unlined coveralls cut the wind and pretty good, because you can open up the front of the coveralls they breath pretty good while snowshoeing. I keep a big sweater in my pack that I can put on over top when I stop for lunch. Never tried this for hunting but I think it would work.

If a guy is sitting in a blind all day then breathability wouldn't be as much of a concern.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-13-2017 at 04:59 PM.