View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I think Canada has been a great society through out time. For the simple fact that we do protect the masses from the few who can and will no doubt cause problems.
Do we? How many people that commit assault, murder or theft are let back out in the streets to commit further crimes? We don't deal harshly enough with these people, instead we create more laws to give the impression that we are being tough on crime.

Quote:
I am one who is willing to sacrifice a few freedoms which we never had anyways to protect those who will other wise be the problems.
Are you saying that it has "never" been legal to carry a handgun in Canada, or to hunt with them. Never is a long time. You might want to check back to when Canada was created.

Quote:
Driving a vehicle at 100mph does not mean a danger to others.
In the same way that allowing hunting with handguns would not mean a danger to others.

Quote:
That line I think is what we as Canadians have drawn and have lived with for years.
The line that creates laws such as the long gun registry which is now in the process of being overturned? Just because we have lived with something for years, doesn't make it right.

Quote:
I also wish that I could carry a AR15 in my truck all time,
I did carry an AR15 in my truck for years, until someone decided that they didn't like the way it looked and made it a restricted weapon. Yet the mini 14 that Marc Lepine slaughtered people with in the incident that led to the creation many of our firearms laws, operates the same way, fires the same cartridge, and it is not restricted. How much sense does that make?

Quote:
I am not totally disagreeing with a person who wants more abiltiy to enjoy a sport or even protect themselves. But we need to tread lightly as to what we want. Others may want more then you and they could get it. That may not be a want they should have..
Our government has already proven that they can't come up with a justice system that prevents criminals from re-offending, and their firearms laws have not eliminated crimes committed with firearms, so obviously their system isn't working. Perhaps we need a new approach, give people more freedoms, but deal more harshly with those that break our laws, instead of hiding behind laws that have proven to be ineffective at preventing crime?