Thread: Line color
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 07:40 AM

Regarding colour some people prefer high visibility lines when fishing in conditions where they want to know where their lure is.

I personally am torn on this. Fish obviously can see these high visibility lines(as well as the duller greens, browns etc).

If I am fishing fast flashy/active lures like a spoon, rapala etc I don't think it matters that much because the fish will key in on that lure and probably won't notice the line up ahead of it.

If I am fishing dirtier water I especially don't worry about the line colour.

However if I am fishing clearer water for spooky species or if I am fishing a slow or stationary technique then I think it is key to use non visible line or a long leader. Some guys just tie on a 2 foot leader but I don't think that is enough, if a fish is going to bite your lure with 2 feet of fluoro leader then they would probably just as likely bite it with no leader. When I fish in these situations I like to have a 5-6 ft leader and in some situations I am considering going to much longer one to test my theory out.

Most bass professionals use fluoro mainline for their finesse presentations, part of the reason is visibility. I just don't like fluoro/mono mainline so I prefer the braid and leader but I do think a longer leader could be key in some situations.

Obviously when you are talking about this level of fish pickiness it usually isn't a big deal though. I used to catch a number of fish with no leader on my braid, using a fluoro leader does improve catch rate but only slightly and making these other minor changes will help you catch those super picky fish but there are also lots of not picky fish in most lakes/rivers that this sort of presentation is unnecessary for.

Same argument can be made for fluoro leader instead of titanium/steel for pike. If using a spoon/rapala I don't think it is important at all but if you slow things down so that picky fish can investigate your presentation then fluoro could be important in order to catch some fish.