View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Long distance shooting

if your intention is to shoot long distance a chronograph is a must. You cant plug a shooting solution into a ballistics program without your velocity. If you have velocity and BC of the bullet your using then your drop is easily determined. There are other factors like air pressure and temp that come into play but by and large the most significant factors in determining the elevation needed to be dialed at long distance are your velocity and BC.

Long story short yes get a good chrono. I have owned a Magneto Speed and a Labradar. Both are excellent and accurate but I preferred the LAB. The reason being I was always worried about shooting the bayonet of the magneto. I also use rifles with muzzle brakes and found that to be a pain with the magneto. I am not the most handy guy and often struggled to get a firm fit with the magneto. I am more of a techy person and the LAB was more techy and I like that. Your mileage my vary and others may have a different reason why they prefer one over another. You cant go wrong with either as they are excellent at what they do.

PS The magneto speed changed my point of impact. So when I took the bayonet off I would have to shoot additional groups to zero my scope. The Labradar has no impact on POI and isnt affected by weather. Another selling feature is that it gives you velocity downrange and you can confirm the BC of your bullet if your good at the math. I am part of the 4/3 people that struggle with math.

I would definately echo what others are saying about Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation.

I shoot out to 1000m (not well) but I can get hits at that range. I wont use a load that has over a 10 FPS ES spread. (well maybe 12 if it prints 1/2moa groups) The ES number becomes very important at longer distances.

Last edited by markg; 06-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.