View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Labradar is great but it is prohibitively expensive magneto speed is also great at a lower price point Can’t go wrong with either. If you don’t want to drop the big bucks you can also go with an optical style crono match your purchase with the type of rifles you own it would be silly to spend the cost of labradar if your rifle library added together didn’t amount to as much as the unit costs.

I also used to reload with the same method you use. Now with Labradar I select a series to test .2-.3 gr apart fire the string record velocity look for the flat spots and go back and try the nodes in 3 round groups usually I can find a number of nodes (3-5ish sets) not all of them shoot good groups and get eliminated on the second range trip. After the second trip I cull the remaining in spec groups by size es and deviation from that I’m usually at 1 load and then it’s down to seating depth for fine tuning and maybe annealing do help shrink es.

I find having labradar I can gather enough data to plug into quickload to get extremely accurate computer projections of my loads eliminating guess work. I feel with the extra crono data I can keep my pressures in spec and under max safely making accurate loads with low extreme spread and standard deviation. I know this set up isn’t popular with the seat of your pants or the manual is gospel reloaders but it works for me.
Good post ! That is pretty much the method I use. The manuals are a guide, QuickLoad is the verifier and a Chrono verifies Quickload. The target has the final say. Adjusting the burn rates on QL to your particular firearm is paramount to obtaining very accurate info... every time.