View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Fly Fishing Trip on the back 40

Good Day all, hopefully most of you are able to find a spot to wet the line these days and enjoying some of the weather we have been getting. I would like to preface this as I am not looking for anyone's sweet spot/Honey Hole, but more for a pointer in the right direction or guidance per say as I am travelling with my 2 sons who are still learning the fine art of Fly Fishing. With that said I am planning a multiday trip undetermined as of the length yet, I am thinking 7-10 days at the end of July where we will be heading south of Calgary to HWY 40 and then heading North to a friends place outside of Sundre. We will be stopping at rivers, streams, and some lakes which I have primarily mapped out, but this is where I would appreciate some input as to access points.
Sheep River- I have fished it and familiar with access
Highwood- Never fished and looking for some insight. Like just outside of Longview looks pretty good from Google Maps with deep pools but also looks like all private access??? In the Eden Valley area doesn't look to bad but agian access? Where to park and hike up and down the River?
Upper/Lower K Lakes- Maybe try a day from the Pontoon, depends I may want multi days on the Highwood.

After 3-4 days in the south I am heading to a Friend's place outside of Sundre and we are going to hit the:
Upper Red Deer- Never fished but access doesn't look to be an issue
Panther- Never fished, still researching, my friend says he knows a few sweet spots
and the Clearwater if time permits. We will be Camping/Hoteling (haven't decided) and I realize this may be a fairly ambitious and tight schedule, but I wanted to do a homewater trip this year and learn more about our home rivers. Never know I may not plan as many trips to BC as I have in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone's input/advice all will be very appreciated.