View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
The convenience of never running out of ammo and being able to load a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition for the cost of conventional ammo is worth it to me. Also being able to stock hard to find ammo like your 35, or in my case 9.3 x 62 , 6.5 x 55 makes it very worth while .

I try to use as few diferent powders as I can to keep costs down. Some powders will give you very good loads in several calibers/bullet weights. IMR 4350 is one I use in a lot of calibers. IMR and H are not the same even when the number is the same. { example IMR 4350 / H4350 } Don't substitute. Most times IMR and H brand powders with the same number can be used in the same cartridge, but not the same amount.

You don't need to spend a fortune on equipment, the Lee kits and dies are very capable of making excellent trouble free ammo . My Lee press is about 40 years old, and still works just fine. I always buy Lee dies when I can and have never had any problems with them.

Get a good scale and weigh each load . My scale is the RCBS 5-0-5, and it has served me well for many years.

Don't try to be smarter than the books and published loads and you should be able to produce good loads easily. If you don't see the load published don't load it. When someone offers to share their pet load recipe ask to see the book it came from, and work your way up to the max loads and you will never need a rubber mallet to open the bolt.
^ This. I had to check to see if I wrote that in my sleep.